How To Use Drying Lotion
How To Use Drying Lotion
Have you been looking at drying lotions online to help combat your acne?
Well, you’re not alone, we’ve all had our attempt at finding spot treatment that works. And the challenge isn’t even over once you’ve had your shop online and found the right acne drying lotion because then there’s the issue of how you even apply the stuff.
This is what we’ve aimed to help with within this article because we know how important it is to make sure you’re using your drying lotion efficiently so you can stand a fighting chance at clearing those surface blemishes and acne scars.
You may have purchased the Mario Badescu drying lotion which is extremely popular and effective at helping all skin types. If you’re still on the hunt though or fancy trying a different drying lotion then you could check out our guide on the best drying lotions where we cover some alternatives to the Mario Badescu drying lotion.
Now, get your drying lotion ready and we’ll show you how to clear those dead skin cells, vanquish that surface blemish, and soothe those bright red pimples.
Using Drying Lotion: A Step-By-Step Guide
1) Not just any lotion – Firstly, you need to find the right drying lotion. It should have natural ingredients if possible and not cause any irritation or burning to your skin. A common drying lotion that many people recommend is the Mario Badescu drying lotion.
2) Let it sit – If you ordered your drying lotion online then it’s likely been shaken up on its way to being delivered. In which case you’re going to let it settle in your bathroom cabinet or somewhere where it’s unlikely to be shaken any further, ideally a flat surface. It’s vital that you don’t shake the bottle. You’ll know when it’s settled because you’ll see the pink sediment at the bottom of the bottle (yours may be a different color).
3) Wash your face – Again, before you even start with the drying lotion you should always wash your face with a facial cleanser or whatever other products you may use in your skincare routine. If you don’t have a skincare routine or are looking for one then check out our step-by-step Korean skincare routine. You can also apply some moisturizer during this step too but don’t apply it where you plan on putting your drying lotion.
4) Q-tip – Next, get your drying lotion, ensuring you don’t shake it around, and put Q-tip or a cotton swab into the pink sediment (again, yours may not be pink but as long as you reach the sediment). Then take the swab out and you should see some of the sediment on it.
5) Apply – Now you’re going to dab directly to the target surface blemishes or anywhere that you want to treat whiteheads or reduce redness. Don’t rub it into the very inflamed portion though, instead just apply a thin layer over the area and let it sit there so you can still see both the pink sediment and clear liquid. Some drying lotions are skin-colored so they blend in better but others may be black, purple, etc. so it’s easier to tell if you’ve accidentally rubbed it in too much.
6) Avoid broken skin – One thing you definitely don’t want to do is apply your drying lotion to a pimple that’s been popped or broken in any way. This won’t help the pimple and will probably only make it worse or irritate your skin.
7) Leave it – Now it’s time to leave it alone as the drying lotion performs best when it’s left to settle undisturbed overnight. When you check back in the morning you should hopefully have clear skin once you wash off the drying lotion. Some pimples are stubborn though so even the most fast-acting spot treatments may not clear them right away. If this is the case then just repeat the process each night until you no longer have active whiteheads.
Frequently Asked Questions
What ingredients are good for drying lotions?
There are a ton of ingredients that fight pimples and prevent future breakouts but some of the key ones to look out for are Salicylic acid, zinc oxide, Isopropyl alcohol, titanium dioxide, and benzoyl peroxide. Most high-quality drying lotions will have a couple or most of these ingredients so keep an eye out.
Do you put moisturizer on before Drying Lotion?
Wash your face and apply your normal skin routine before using your drying lotion. However, only put moisturizer around the areas you aren’t putting the drying lotion on.
Are you supposed to shake Drying Lotion?
Absolutely not! It’s pretty much the only rule with drying lotion. Shaking it will dilute the sediment at the bottom which means the results won’t be as good as you were hoping. If you have shaken the bottle then don’t panic, just let it sit for a day and you should see the sediment return to the bottom.
How does Drying Lotion work?
Drying lotion contains salicylic acid which helps dry up acne while ingredients like sulfur and zinc are anti-inflammatory and take the redness out of pimples. Combined together they make a formidable force against spots.